Thursday 20 October 2016

Club to be applauded for yesterday's news

I have to say that I was a little taken aback by High Peak's comment on yesterday's post, suggesting that Derbyshire going for the 'cheap option' in bringing in John Wright, a man 'in his dotage'.

I published it to show that no matter what you try to do in this life, there will always be those who find something wrong.

Does anyone seriously think that a man who is credited with introducing professionalism to the Indian national side, winning a series against Australia at home, drawing in Australia, getting to a World Cup Final and then getting his IPL side to a double trophy success would come cheap? I don't, but it will be money well spent on John Wright.

He knows cricket and knows cricketers. He will bring a new eye and fresh tactical input to the squad, as well as having contacts within the game that should ensure we get two overseas players in the format who are top-drawer, 'gun' cricketers.

Of course we still need to do something about the four-day game, but everything comes together in its own time. The chairman tweeted yesterday that the club hopes to announce a couple of major international signings in the next week, which will doubtless be for the longer form of the game.

It is all very exciting, but it still frustrates me, after years of writing this blog, that there are those who don't understand how much work is going on to improve things. John Wright, like Kim Barnett, works very hard for success and we have our best chance of improvement with people like that in charge of the cricket in the club.

There are no guarantees, as life doesn't work like that. Wright could sign two top stars and one of them might break a finger in the first game. We don't know and we all remember the Amla/Dilshan experiment that didn't work. Yet it shouldn't prevent us from trying and already people are noting the club's innovative stance on coaching. Derbyshire - OUR Derbyshire - have come up with something completely new that just might work.

He will be here for a few weeks before it starts to watch the players and see what he has to work with, as well as getting over his ideas to what will be a squad bursting to impress.

If John Wright can make the difference for us, full marks go to all involved and we can rename a street after him. If it fails, then hey, them's the breaks - but at least we tried. I will never fault effort and innovation. Ten per cent more over last year might make all the difference for Derbyshire's T20 fortunes.

In  engaging John Wright, I reckon we have started the ball rolling.

Yesterday's other news is also very positive. £139 to watch a season of cricket? That has to be a steal and I'd urge all members to tell their football season ticket-buying friends about it. I know a lot of people who buy six packs, but if you can watch any more than six days of cricket a season and live within reasonable reach of the county, the year membership, with all of its benefits, has to be the way to go.

It deserves to do well and I think it will - especially if the two names announced in the near future are as impressive as I think that they will be.

Finally today, thank you to everyone at the West Lancashire Cricket Society, who made last night's event in Southport a real pleasure. It was nice to meet you all, sell a few books and enjoy some fun cricket chat - as well as finding out that you're not at all happy in losing Luis Reece to us...

Tonight I am in Liverpool's Sefton Park Cricket Club for the Merseyside Cricket Society. I've already realised one ambition today, in having a drink in the city's legendary Cavern Club and having a pleasant few hours around a vibrant city.

Fingers crossed tonight goes well and my trusty sat-nav doesn't let me down...

11 comments:

  1. I wasn't really sure who we'd get for the T20 coach when the new structure was announced but I think JW is an excellent choice. With more announcements still to comes it looks like a positive winter ahead.

    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see how John Wright is the cheap option. He won't be coming to Derby for free that's for sure. Some people can't be pleased. Ridiculous by High Peak in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been delighted if John Wright has been named as our full time coach. No way will he be cheap either. Great news well done Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely over the moon JW is the 1st 20/20 coach we have got, I was thinking about a 6 pack deal or full membership and this has swayed me to go for the full. I am now a fully paid up member, now lets get a top overseas signing announced

    ReplyDelete
  5. High Peak might be a Notts fan, go easy on him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aye they are sensitive just now...football or cricket it isnt too good for them. Shame... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. High Peak..with regard to your latest message...send me an email and lets chat if you are happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roy of the Falcons21 October 2016 at 13:34

    I do not doubt the experience, contacts or achievements of those appointed so far. My wish is that we also have someone younger within the coaching structure and not just someone younger in a player/coach role. I feel that a younger person will be able to relate to younger players. I know as a 22 year old I respected my older bosses but often thought them out of touch with my world. I am sure Kim and John have lots to offer but I also believe a younger coach within the structure is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That may well be the case with the Academy role Roy and perhaps the support coach. Suppose it comes down to succession planning and ensuring continuity.

    Much to learn from a coach of John Wright's experience. Take your point on age but it is very much dependent on those concerned and their own mentality...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That may well be the case with the Academy role Roy and perhaps the support coach. Suppose it comes down to succession planning and ensuring continuity.

    Much to learn from a coach of John Wright's experience. Take your point on age but it is very much dependent on those concerned and their own mentality...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tim, Chesterfield21 October 2016 at 19:08

    I've not had a membership since 2004, and didn't go to Derby once this season, but might get one at that price especially as my father can 'introduce' me and get fifty sheets back.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!